Work related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are among the most frequently reported causes of lost or restricted work time.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) MSDs account for over 600,000 work related injuries and illnesses (34% of all lost workdays).
- Direct costs attributable to MSDs exceeds $20 billion per year.
- Indirect costs may be 3-5 times higher.
- $1 of every $3 of Worker’s Compensation costs are spent on MSDs.
- Mean costs for an upper extremity MSD case are $8,070 vs. $4,075 for all types of work-related injury.
Canada’s Occupational Health and Safety Council of Ontario has put together an excellent toolbox on assessment methods and training for work related MSDs. Check it out HERE.
Source: Institute for Work & Health