When can I perform drug testing in the workplace?
- Random drug testing
- Drug testing unrelated to reporting of work-related injury or illness
- Drug testing under state workers’ compensation law
- Drug testing under other federal law, such as US DOT regulation
- Drug testing to evaluate root cause of workplace incident that harmed, or could have harmed, employees
- Note: If the employer chooses to use drug testing to investigate an incident, the employer should test all employees whose conduct could have contributed to the incident, not just the employee(s) who reported injuries.