NAOSH Week – May 3-9, 2009
Developed by the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering, the North American Occupational Safety and Health Week will be celebrated May 3-9, 2009 throughout North America. Created in 2002, NAOSH Week is intended to raise awareness about occupational health, safety and environmental issues.
National Events are planned in addition to events in a large number of states (sponsored by local ASSE chapters) and internationally.
Additionally, corporate and organizational promotion includes companies/organizations such as Ford Motor Company, AIHA, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Sprint-Nextel, and OSHA.
ASSE provides some guidance on how you too can get involved:
* Sponsor a poster contest for your employees’ children and create a Safety Calendar for your staff and clients
* Host a Family Safety Fair or picnic for your company and their families;
* Launch a recognition program for safety suggestions that are put into use or enhance ongoing health and safety practices.
* Conduct an Open House that focuses on health and safety. Involve suppliers. Invite local dignitaries, clients and colleagues.
* Conduct training sessions for employees
* Do local news releases on being safe at work tips for your local media (info. can be found on www.asse.org)
* Set up specific safety demonstrations, focused on safe work habits
* Launch a “New Worker” Orientation Manual
* Promote NAOSH Week through articles in your company newsletter
* Insert NAOSH Week messages in correspondence, memorandums, e-mail messages to staff
* Display the free NAOSH Week poster in offices, on bulletin boards, at work stations
* Distribute buttons, stickers, and pens to your staff
* Use NAOSH Week pens, safety whistles, etc as awards for safety achievements!